[XeTeX] Interaction between utf8accents.sty and babel's german.ldf

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Sep 22 11:20:57 CEST 2004

On 22 Sep 2004, at 12:31 am, Ross Moore wrote:

> On 22/09/2004, at 8:34 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:
>>
>> Unless something else is getting very confused, this suggests that
>> for some reason Babel is generating TeX--XeT-style directionality
>> controls, which are only valid if \TeXXeTstate=1 is specified at the
>> start of the job. The \beginL, \endL, \beginR, \endR primitives are
>> undefined unless the bidirectional typesetting extension is
>> specifically enabled.
>
> Hmm.
> It seems to be compiled into my  xetex.xfmt  file.

Sorry, I said it wrong; they're only *undefined* if you run in e-TeX
"compatibility" rather than "extended" mode, but I've set things up to
build the .xfmts with extended mode turned on. (If you want pure TeX
compatibility and no extensions, why use XeTeX?!)

It's when running in "extended" mode but with \TeXXeTstate=0 that you
get the "Improper...." error messages from the bidi primitives.

(I don't see why the package would be trying to use them, though.)