[XeTeX] Interaction between utf8accents.sty and babel's german.ldf

Ross Moore ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Wed Sep 22 09:14:52 CEST 2004

Hi Yves,

On 22/09/2004, at 4:52 PM, Yves Codet wrote:

> Hello Ross.
>
> Le 22 sept. 04, à 02:35, Ross Moore a écrit :
>
>> conflicting files  french.ldf
>>

>> My installation is finding:
>>
>> < (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/latex/le/french.ldf
>> < File: french.ldf 2001/11/28 v1.9 french option of babel loading the
>> French pack
>> < age
>>

>> Has anyone else tried using this ?
>>

> I'm not sure I understand your question, but here is a tentative
> answer. "French" is a standalone package, by B. Gaulle, which was
> first incompatible with Babel.  J. Braams integrated it as an option
> beside his own French package which he renamed to "frenchb". But I
> think there have always been compatibility issues. For that very
> reason I always use:
> 	\usepackage[frenchb]{babel}
> to call J. Braams's own French option.
> 	\usepackage[french]{babel}
> would call B. Gaulle's package as if it were a Babel option, with a
> risk of conflicts with other ones. Unless you need very special French
> typographical features, J. Braams's "frenchb" should be alright.

Yes, this seems to be the situation.

When I first tried to construct an example to test the problem that
Bruno
reported this morning (for me --- probably yesterday for you!),
I used  french , rather than  frenchb , since that's what Bruno was
using.

This uncovered the incompatible coding.

Perhaps it's really Bruno that has it *wrong* by not having Bernard
Gaulle's
  french.sty  (pro)  or  frenchle.sty  (light)  packages available ?
Then this coding from Babel

> \InputIfFileExists{french.sty}{}% load our french pro package
>  {\InputIfFileExists{frenchle.sty}{}% or the light version if any,
>   {\PackageError{french/frenchle}%
>    {-63- french or frenchle style files not found}%
>    {-63- Check if files exist somewhere in your system.}%
>    \let\endfrench\stop%
>   }%
>  }%
defaults to  frenchb.ldf  when  'french' is requested.
(That would explain why Bruno hasn't realised the *error*
and reported such a problem previously.)

It seems to just a possible pitfall, when using unfamiliar
package options to handle a foreign (to me) language.

Cheers,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Sydney, Australia                                  fax: +61 +2 9850 8114