[XeTeX] CJK and ideographic font names

Paolo Matteucci p.matteucci at soton.ac.uk
Thu Sep 9 22:25:40 CEST 2004

Il giorno 09/set/04, alle 20:47, Jonathan Kew ha scritto:

> On 9 Sep 2004, at 7:02 pm, Paolo Matteucci wrote:
>
>> [...]
>>
>> I would like to use the font ‰X¤å·¢Ê^.ttf (STKaiti Regular), but can't
>> get xelatex to load it.
>>
>> ...I would have expected that something like this would work in
>> xelatex:
>>
>> \DeclareFontFamily{U}{stkaiti}{}
>> \DeclareFontShape{U}{stkaiti}{m}{n}%
>>      {<-> "STKaiti\space Regular"}{}
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> ...but doesn't. I get the message: "! Font
>> U/stkaiti/m/n/20.74=STKaiti Regular at 20.74pt not loadable: ATSUI
>> font not found".
>>
>> Would anyone be so kind to tell me what I'm doing wrong?
>>

> You're so close... but not quite! The name you need to use is just
> "STKaiti", not "STKaiti Regular". I believe what Font Book calls the
> "Display Name" of a font is the appropriate one to choose, if in
> doubt.
>
> [...]

You're right, of course... but I had tried that, and XeTeX issued the
same error message... well almost: "! Font \U/stkaiti/m/n/17.28=STKaiti
at 17.28pt not loadable: Metric (TFM) file or ATSUI font not found"...

This time, though, I ignored it and entered \nonstopmode and
-consistently enough- nothing came out *except* the Chinese!

I think this rather dodgy behaviour may be caused by some conflict with
the other packages: I'll investigate...

	Many thanks for your help,

	Paolo