[XeTeX] Size of JPEG graphics

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Sep 8 17:09:00 CEST 2004

On 8 Sep 2004, at 2:25 pm, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> I have just been faced with a strange behaviour of XeTeX compared with
> pdfTeX, and it took some time to reduce the observed behaviour to a
> simple fact: for a JPEG file that I created using Adobe Illustrator
> (opening an EPS file in Illustrator, modifying it, and saving the
> result as a JPEG file), and included in a TeX file, the size of the
> JPEG image in the PDF output is different depending on whether pdfTeX
> or XeTeX is used. (By size here I mean the size in centimeters (or
> inches!) on the page, not the size of the file.)

A little experimentation with resizing a JPEG in Photoshop seems to
show that XeTeX measures the JPEG as if it were a 72dpi image in all
cases, whereas pdfTeX pays proper attention to the resolution of the
image. I consider this a XeTeX bug and will look into fixing it.

Note, however, that this will cause the layout of existing documents to
change if they include non-72dpi images; users, take note that at this
point in XeTeX's life, I'm not promising absolute document stability!

BTW, does the same problem occur if the image is in a different format
such as TIFF, PNG, BMP, etc.?