[XeTeX] Re: Mathtime fonts

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Sep 6 23:08:46 CEST 2004

Le 6 sept. 04, à 20:29, Jonathan Kew a écrit :

> On 6 Sep 2004, at 4:51 pm, Paul Edney wrote:
>
>> Jonathan, is adding these tables manually to an otf font doable for
>> the non-font-expert, and if so, do you have a reference as to how
>> these tables are encoded so I might give it a shot for mathtime?
>
> Documentation and tools are available from Apple's font site
> (http://developer.apple.com/fonts/), but they're definitely for the
> technically-inclined, not the average end user.

Yesterday, motivated by this thread, I had another look at the OS X
Font Tools I had installed earlier, but never used thus far. It seems
ftxdumperfuser is the tool to add a POST table to a font. Given all
these tools are command-line only, and it's necessary to know (I don't)
what's a POST table in the first place, I've just given up until
step-by-step instructions become necessary at some point in the future.
Plus, each time I attempted to use FontForge, I got rapidly lost among
the many different possibilities, not all of them documented in detail,
for each single action (like, for converting a font to OTF, the
necessity to choose between Mac and CFF).

It would be cool to be able to convert one's font, .pfb or else, for
use with XeTeX, especially as one could use the freely available
Fourier fonts (or the commercial Lucida NewMath) as math fonts to go
with OS X text fonts, but personally I don't consider this a priority.
Also, regarding the original motivation for this thread, ie the
MathTimes font, I really feel pessimistic since, as I said earlier,
these fonts are by design based on the virtual fonts mechanism. From
the original MathTimes font page <http://www.yandy.com/mathtime.htm>:

"Macintosh and Unix/NeXT versions require use of virtual fonts (on
these platforms the MTMI font is merely a virtual font that calls upon
the partial font RMTMI and Times-Italic).

  PC compatible version does not require the use of virtual fonts; comes
with Adobe Type Manager (ATM) for Windows, plus the complete  Times,
Helvetica and Courier families in Type 1 format."

Or could the Windows version be used instead?

Bruno