[XeTeX] Typeblock moved?

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon Sep 6 23:02:30 CEST 2004

On 6 Sep 2004, at 9:42 pm, Robert Voogdgeert wrote:

> Dear XeTeX-users,
>

> Did any of you experience the effect of a type-block that is not on
> the place where it should be when typesetting with XeLaTeX. I compiled
> a file in the memoir class with twoside as option. The type-block
> seems to have drifted off. This can be clearly seen, e.g. on the title
> page the title is centred but has moved to the left; the even page
> numbers, though they should have a bigger left margin than the uneven,
> have very small left margins and quite big right margins. Also, the
> only crop-mark left completely on the page is the bottom right one, of
> the upper right one only part of the vertical line is left, while of
> the bottom left one only the part of the horizontal line is left, the
> upper left one finally is completely gone. Thus it seems that the
> whole type-block moved to the upper-left for a reason I don't
> understand. Specifically as the file compiled well in LaTeX.

Just a guess (as I'm not familiar with 'memoir', or indeed any LaTeX
packages), but I suspect it may well be using pdfTeX extensions to set
up the paper size and the position of the output on the page. XeTeX
does *not* support the pdfTeX extensions to TeX.

Perhaps someone more familiar with LaTeX and the memoir class can
confirm whether this is the right diagnosis.

(What happens if you use TeX + dvipdf instead of pdfTeX as an engine?)

Jonathan