[XeTeX] Fwd: Re: [NTG-context] XeTeX fonts

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Oct 29 13:37:46 CEST 2004

On 26 Oct 2004, at 2:59 pm, Adam Lindsay wrote:

> Hi Jonathan, all.
>
> A request from Hans that came from the fallout of someone trying to use
> MetaPost with XeConTeXt. Alternatively, if anyone working on the
> XeLaTeX
> graphics drivers has any insights on keeping the font quotes intact but
> out of the way, we'd love to hear of your approaches!

Font names are scanned as file names by TeX. XeTeX modifies the
filename-scanning rules to permit quoted file names (so names with
spaces can be used, for example; can be handy for Mac files, and is
essential for font names). Currently, it accepts either "double" or
'single' quotes (the non-directional ASCII quotes, that is, not “curly
quotes”). There's no mechanism for escaping the quote characters within
the name, so a double-quoted name can't include a " character, and a
single-quoted one can't include a '.

I'll add (....) as another "quoting" option for file and font names, if
that's convenient; however, remember that in principle any of these
characters could occur within a font/feature name, which is why I
provided more than one option.