[XeTeX] A go at TL 2004

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Fri Oct 29 02:46:04 CEST 2004

Hello,

I finally had a go at installing the latest, no-longer beta, TL 2004
TeX i-package. A couple of remarks, mostly minor (I'm cross-posting to
the XeTeX list because the final, non-minor, remark is connected with
XeTeX):

- To start with a clean slate, before reinstalling everything I asked
for complete uninstall, after backing up my texmf.local folder. It
turned out to be necessary, since after asking for uninstall and
selecting all four pieces (foundation, programs, local settings, etc.)
to be uninstalled, I realized "local settings" meant actually the whole
texmf.local folder, which was erased. This is quite logical, but I
imagine there may be people thinking "local settings" (I don't remember
the exact wording in i-Installer, maybe it was "local settings and
additions" which is more explicit) means their modifications to prefs
files (like the listing of .map files in updmap.cfg, modified by
updmap), and then realizing afterwards, in a state of shock, that the
whole texmf.local has indeed vanished and they have to put it back
together after looking for the original sources for their additions.
Would it make sense to put somewhere a more explicit warning?

- On the other hand, uninstall did not remove the folder
/Library/Fonts/Latin Modern/.

- As far as I remember, the default selection of hyphenation files was
US English, French, German (both old and new spelling) and No Hyphen in
TL 2003, no more. I seems now almost every hyphenation pattern is
selected by default (in the Configure stage).

- For those patterns that are not (related to languages that seem to
have several possible patterns), I got strange warnings (I  did no
configuration at this stage, just let the default selection of patterns
alone -- apart from adding British English -- and proceeded):

> ### tex.configure: Language norsk already activated. Will not enable
> two hyphenation patterns for one language. Make sure only one
> hyphenation pattern is selected for each language
> ### tex.configure: Language ukrainian already activated. Will not
> enable two hyphenation patterns for one language. Make sure only one
> hyphenation pattern is selected for each language
> ### tex.configure: Language ukrainian already activated. Will not
> enable two hyphenation patterns for one language. Make sure only one
> hyphenation pattern is selected for each language
> ### tex.configure: Language ukrainian already activated. Will not
> enable two hyphenation patterns for one language. Make sure only one
> hyphenation pattern is selected for each language
> ### tex.configure: Your mk4ht script differs from the one I carry as a
> possible update. I cannot detect which one is newer, but if you have
> problems you can try to remove
> /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/mk4ht and re-run
> this configuration script. My version will then be installed.

- It seems lm.map (Latin Modern?) is not selected by default in the
list of possible .map files.

- In this list, there are lucidabr-o.map and lumath-o.map, whereas only
lucidabr-k.map and lumath-k.map live in
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/map/dvips/lucida/. Is this a
typo?

- One of the messages displayed at the end of the operation of updmap
contains a typo ("Gernerating" for "Generating").

- While installing XeTeX eventually, it turns out the XeLaTeX format
cannot be generated, yielding errors of the form (these are not shown
by default, you have to select the "Subprocess Output" tab to see
them):

> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/generic/hyphen/gahyph.tex
> Hyphenation patterns `gahyph.tex' Version 1.0 <2004/01/22>
> ! Not a letter.
> l.6089 bhrachta뉭
>                   brachta뉣hਮt뉧cਮt뉣heilt뉧ceilt뉣hist뉧cist뉣ho...
>
> ?
> ! Emergency stop.
> l.6089 bhrachta뉭
>                   brachta뉣hਮt뉧cਮt뉣heilt뉧ceilt뉣hist뉧cist뉣ho...
>
> No pages of output.
> Transcript written on xelatex.log.

I think this result from the combination of two things:

** the default selection of patterns being now so broad;

** the current list of hyphenation patterns installed by XeTeX, in
Unicode format, in
usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/generic/hyphen/, being not in
synch with that including in the latest TL 2004 in
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/generic/hyphen/.

More specifically, TL 2004 includes the 8-bit Gaelic pattern
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/generic/hyphen/gahyph.tex in Mac
OS Roman encoding incompatible with XeTeX, and XeTeX does not provide
yet a Unicode version of it, causing the above format creation failure
when gahyph.tex is selected by default at format creation time (which
seems to be now the default).

Hope this helps,

Bruno Voisin