[XeTeX] fontspec, xetex and Adobe Garamond & oddities

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu Oct 28 19:13:33 CEST 2004

On 28 Oct 2004, at 1:38 am, Will Robertson wrote:

> BTW, Jonathan, is a bug with the OpenType library XeTeX? The
> "ordinals" OpenType feature only raises the very first character after
> a number, which makes it useless:
>    %&program=xetex
>    \font\agp="Adobe Garamond Pro:+ordn" at 20pt\agp
>    1st 2nd 3rd 0th 6abcd
>    \end

I've looked into this, and it appears that the OpenType spec is unclear
regarding the precise format of the particular lookup type used here (a
chaining contextual substitution lookup). The Adobe Pro fonts are based
on one interpretation of the spec; the ICU library implements an
alternative reading. Some comments I've seen suggest that
OTLS/Uniscribe on Windows probably uses the same reading as ICU, but I
haven't yet been able to verify this.

I can change the library XeTeX is using, and the ordinals in Adobe
Garamond Pro then work as intended; however, I'm concerned that there
may be fonts from other sources that assume the current implementation,
and these will break if I change it.