[XeTeX] XeLaTeX English and IPA examples

Cyril Niklaus cynik at mac.com
Wed Oct 27 17:07:45 CEST 2004

On 27 oct. 04, at 17:28, Ross Moore wrote:
> You'll need to do something like:
>
>     .....\\{}
>      [whatever]
>
> or
>     .....\\
>      {[whatever]}
>
> to get what you seem to want.
>

> Hope this helps,
Hi Ross,
Thanks, it does help, and I'll take care from now on when using those
\\.
before receiving your answer/ explanation, I had used \mbox as a way
around, and also because I wanted to use these phonetics transcription
in a math environment. It's the first time I typeset something close to
maths, and I had to go back to my LaTeX books for pretty much all of
it, yet it does not suffice for what I want.
I'm writing as a memo a list of vowels and their possible pronunciation
in French and by twidling I've pretty much arrived at what I want. Here
the beginning of the thing, my question will be after:

\documentclass[12pt,a4paper,fleqn]{article}
\usepackage{osxfonts}
\setlength{\mathindent}{0.1cm}
\renewcommand{\encodingdefault}{U}
\NewOSXFontFamily{arial-unicode}{Arial Unicode MS}
\renewcommand{\rmdefault}{arial-unicode}
\begin{document}
\begin{center}
\Large{Les voyelles}
\end{center}
\begin{tabular}{l l l} %{l@{\qquad} l@{\qquad}l} does not work to line
them all up
a & [a, ɑ] & ami [ami], bas [bɑ]\\
à & [a] & à Paris [a pari]\\
â & [aː] & âge [aːʒ]
\end{tabular}
\[ \mbox{e}  \left \{ \begin{array}{l l l}
	\mbox{-} & \mbox{base [baːz]}\\
	 \mbox{[ə]} & \mbox{petit [pəti]} \\
	  \mbox{[e]} & \mbox{parler [parle]}\\
	   \mbox{[ɛ]} & \mbox{merci [mɛrsi]}
	\end{array} \right. \]
\begin{tabular}{l l l}
é & [e] & été [ete]\\
è & [ɛ] & mère [mɛːr]\\
ê & [ɛ] & fête [fɛt]\\
ë & [ɛ] & Noël [nɔɛl]
\end{tabular}
\[ \begin{array}{l}
\mbox{i} \\  \mbox{î}\\ \mbox{ï} \\ 	\mbox{î} \\ \mbox{y}
	\end{array}
\left  \{ \begin{array}{l l l}
	\mbox{[i]} & \mbox{midi [midi]} \\
	& \mbox{île [il]} \\
	& \mbox{maïs [mais]} \\
	& \mbox{stylo [stilo]} \\
\end{array} \right. \]
This last bit I'm not happy with. I'm trying to get all the "i" aligned
then a bracket pointed to the right, at its middle the [i] and then the
examples. I've managed to do it in the other direction (for the e), but
no amount of fiddling with \left. \right etc did work. Maybe it's too
late for me to see the obvious, but if anyone does, please let me know!
Cyril