[XeTeX] XeLaTeX English and IPA examples

Cyril Niklaus cynik at mac.com
Wed Oct 27 09:35:12 CEST 2004

On 27 oct. 04, at 10:19, Michael Erlewine wrote:

> Does anybody have an example XeLaTeX document with English and IPA
> (International Phonetic Alphabet)? I'd love to see it.
This was done in a minute, and I realized there's something wrong. Oh,
it's French words (but that's not what's wrong!)
Here it is:
\documentclass[12pt,a4paper]{article}
\usepackage{osxfonts}
\renewcommand{\encodingdefault}{U}
\NewOSXFontFamily{arial-unicode}{Arial Unicode MS}
\renewcommand{\rmdefault}{arial-unicode}
\begin{document}
Some words:\\
fɛt  fête\\
pəti  petit\\
ɑ̃sɑ̃ːbl  ensemble\\ % the nasals don't show up in Mail.app because
they're probably not in whatever Mail is using as a display font
\end{document}

I was planning on doing a little test with this week, so your mail
prompted it. I have a problem with the schwa and square brackets
though, the compilations stops with a:
! Missing number, treated as zero.
<to be read again>
l.8 [pəti]
              petit\\
?
What it causing this error? The FAQs I've read on that are not very
helpful.
Cyril