[XeTeX] Hyphenation of compound words in XeTeX

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon Oct 18 19:32:56 CEST 2004

On 18 Oct 2004, at 6:02 pm, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've just noticed that XeTeX seems to apply different rules for
> hyphenation of compounds words than standard TeX, so that
> small-amplitude may be hyphenated as (I selected British hyphenation)
>
> small-amp-
> litude
>
> if required, which is nice. However, an unwanted side effect is that I
> just got half-plane hyphenated as

Nice? That's debatable....Knuth, at least, would presumably disagree.
Anyhow, it's a bug, and I just fixed it (I believe) this afternoon, so
this will change in the next release.

> half--
> plane
>
> Is there something that can be done against this?

Another manifestation of the hyphenation bugs; I think if you set
	\lccode`\- = 0
this will be avoided.

(There was a short thread about this a week or two back.)