[XeTeX] Re: Odd errors with xelatex -- more info and failures

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sun Oct 17 10:01:20 CEST 2004

On 17 Oct 2004, at 7:02 am, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 17 oct. 04, à 00:54, Stephen Moye a écrit :
>
>> I have tried to disable hyphenation files, reinstall tex and xetex.
>> All to no avail. Here is the complete log from i-installer when I
>> install xetex:
>>
>>> This is XeTeXk, Version 3.14159-2.1-0.88 (Web2C 7.5.2) (INITEX)  16
>>> OCT 2004 18:00
>>> entering extended mode
>>>  %&-line parsing enabled.
>>> ***xelatex.ini
>>> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/xetex/xelatex.ini
>>> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/xetex/xplain.tex)
>>> (/Users/admin/Library/texmf/tex/plain/LaTeX support/LaTeX2e
>>> Sources/latex.ltx
>>> (/Users/admin/Library/texmf/tex/plain/LaTeX support/LaTeX2e
>>> Sources/texsys.cfg)
>
> That's not a good sign: standard LaTeX installs (e.g. gwTeX, on the
> Mac) don't have
>
> 	/Users/admin/Library/texmf/tex/plain/LaTeX support/LaTeX2e
> Sources/latex.ltx

Yes, this is the problem: a "personal" set of (out-of-date) LaTeX
sources within your "home" texmf tree, where xetex finds them before
the correct, standard ones. So the short answer is to remove that whole
	/Users/admin/Library/texmf/tex/plain/LaTeX support/
folder---assuming you have no compelling reason to try to use a really
old version of LaTeX.

> I'm a little surprised that XeTeX is able to cope with folders with
> names containing spaces: I thought the various binaries in gwTeX,
> being of Unix origin, didn't like spaces in files and folder names.

xetex tries to be Mac-friendly. :-)