[XeTeX] AAT feature codes

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Sun Oct 17 04:09:47 CEST 2004

Jonathan Kew wrote:

> Well.... sort of.... it shows the "registered" features, but font
> developers are free to support additional features, and many AAT fonts
> do in fact use features and selectors that aren't in Apple's list.

Yeah, I noticed this after sending the post. Zapfino uses 128 for its
"avoid d collisions", for example. My code at the moment assumes no
number greater than 25 :) but that's easily expanded...

> (For
> this reason, BTW, I'd like to see your package allow users to pass
> arbitrary feature names as options to typespec, not only a predefined set.)

That shouldn't be too hard I think. With an interface like
  \typespec[ArbitraryFeature = %
       {"Special Features = Avoid d Collisions",%
        "Something = Else"}]{Zapfino}
I can see that working fairly nicely (once I work out how to parse it in
TeX - can't be too hard). But I'm sure you agree having a standard
interface to the standard features is a lot more intuitive than the
stupid names Apple comes up with :)

Good idea! Your wish is my command.

> I suppose I could make \XeTeXselectorname prefix the name with "!" in
> this situation; currently, these commands are a very low-level interface
> to the ATSUI font name access functions, but I could put a wrapper
> around it to save you doing so in TeX macros. Perhaps....

No, I agree with your assessment that "Common Ligatures" is the name of
the feature whether you're turning it on or off.

It would be unambiguous if you added a numerical system, but that's as
easily done in a macro. I'll implement that as you suggest,
automatically negating the featurename if the selector is odd and
non-exclusive.

Thanks heaps!
Will