[XeTeX] XeTeX 0.88 released

Thomas T. Pedersen ttpedersen at get2net.dk
Wed Oct 13 23:42:57 CEST 2004

On 12/10-2004, at 17.19, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> I've posted a new version of XeTeX for people to try: there's an Apple
> Installer package on the XeTeX site at

[snip]

> • initial implementation of OpenType Mongolian shaping for Code2000
> font (script=mong)
>   - there's a sample file demonstrating this too

[snip]

Amazing! I've done some quick and dirty tests with modern text samples
from Inner Mongolia in China and compared the output from XeTeX and
BabelPad (Windows XP) - I haven't run into any display errors yet even
though this is an "initial implementation". If one is interested in old
Mongolian texts, I could imagine problems rendering text at this stage
- but that's beyond my field of interest.

On a side note:

Looking at the XeTeX screenshots and the sample files, I've seen an
Arabic font "Scheherazade" mentioned. What is this font? Is it OpenType
or AAT and is it a commercial font or a SIL internal one? I'm just
curious as the font in the screenshot of "Arabic-script text within a
Unicode TeX document" is very nice-looking and seems to cover a broad
range of Arabic characters.

Best regards
Thomas T. Pedersen
http://ee.www.ee/transliteration/