[XeTeX] XeLaTeX font selection

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Wed Oct 6 18:42:39 CEST 2004

Hi all

I've put together a crop of new font definition (.fd) files and
packages for easily using Mac OS X fonts in XeTeX-based LaTeX. Get them
from
    <http://www.mecheng.adelaide.edu.au/~will/tex/>

The examples show the list of fonts included so far and the commands
currently used to access their features; all you need to do in your
document is, for example,

    \usepackage{cochin}

or {baskerville} or {helveticaneue} or whatever. Until I (et al. or
whoever) can work out a good method for switching between upper and
lower case numbers (lining and old style), and for using small caps,
and how to choose between almost arbitrary font weights, it's going to
be a bit clunky for those fancy fonts like Hoefler Text (although that
works fairly well at present) that we so would like to use.

In the meantime, if you'd like to send me .fd files for other fonts,
I'd be more than happy to add them to the collection. I'm thinking
primarily of the other fonts in Mac OS X and the common free fonts such
as Luxi and Lucida. (I can't devote too much time to this at present.)
Look at osxcochin.fd for an easy example - with an associated .sty file
(even easier) - it's a piece of cake on an individual basis.

Regards,
Will Robertson