[XeTeX] XeTeX and Classical Mongolian

Thomas T. Pedersen ttpedersen at get2net.dk
Wed Oct 6 18:31:54 CEST 2004

On 4/10-2004, at 17.13, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> With XeTeX (if we had Mongolian shaping) you could wrap an entire page
> (or other "chunk") of text with
> 	\special{x:gsave}
> 	\special{x:rotate -90}
> 	\special{x:grestore}
> so as to orient it properly on the page.
>
> I'll keep Mongolian in mind but can't promise that I'll have time to
> work on the necessary shaping support any time soon; I'd love to
> support it but "real work" has to get done sometimes!

Just to show how this text sample would actually display if Mongolian
shaping was supported, I manually tracked the shaping of the Mongolian
glyphs and rotated the text using the command above (thank you for that
one, Jonathan). This will of course not do in a real-world situation
and my coding could probably be done more elegant.

With Code2000 installed you can typeset the attached file and actually
display the Mongolian text using XeTeX :-)

Best regards
Thomas T. Pedersen
http://ee.www.ee/transliteration/