[XeTeX] "Hoefler Text" XeLaTeX interface

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Tue Oct 5 02:42:35 CEST 2004

On 4 Oct 2004, at 9:41 PM, Jonathan Kew wrote:
> On 4 Oct 2004, at 12:16 pm, Jonathan Kew wrote:
>
>>> At the moment I need a separate font family for literally almost
>>> every (if I choose to make them, which I don't) permutation of font
>>> feature choice. But if there was an XeTeX command I didn't know
>>> about that would do say:

>> In principle, you could probably do it directly in TeX macros even
>> now--use \fontname to get the name of the current font, and then
>> declare a new \font with the feature setting you want added. But that
>> sort of string manipulation in TeX macros can get tricky, I admit.
>>

> As a starting point, you could try this....

That's a fantastic beginning!
Your work on this project is just unbelievable.

I need to try and work out if this is enough to be able to do all of
the Hoefler Text switching without creating separate families - if so
I'll update my files as soon as I can. I've got some other fonts ready,
too (the more basic ones).

I guess now I'm glad in a sense that Apple hasn't included the entire
Hoefler family! (As much as I'd so much rather the bold rather than the
black font.)

Will