[XeTeX] Trouble with ``''

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Tue Oct 5 02:31:48 CEST 2004

On 5 Oct 2004, at 9:35 AM, christopher ciotti wrote:

> Sorry for such a dumb question, but how do I get smart quotes in
> Xelatex?  I'm using Hoefler Text and if I type the line,
> ``It ain't easy being green.'' I get two ticks on the left and smart
> quotes on the right, if there is a period; if I use \ldots instead, I
> get something else entirely.

Unfortunately the familiar TeX ligatures are properties of the font
itself. This may change in the future, but for now you need to enter
the characters manually or with a find/replace script. ( OPT-[ and
OPT-SHIFT-[ for “ and ” respectively )

Note that Hoefler Text will try and do the right thing if you just use
the plain quote characters instead, but that won't work in some
circumstances.

Will