[XeTeX] I have broken XeTeX

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sun Oct 3 19:44:36 CEST 2004

On 3 Oct 2004, at 6:24 pm, Will Robertson wrote:

> Also, if I create a new user on my machine, XeTeX works fine.
> I've tried un-installing the extra fonts in my account, to no avail.
> There must be something else interfering but for the life of me I
> can't think how to track it down.

Have you tried clearing out fonts from your Classic system's Fonts
folder, as well as your OS X Library/Fonts and ~/Library/Fonts folders?
Remember that fonts installed in Classic are also visible to OS X
applications. A bad font is the most likely cause I can think of for a
crash like this, especially in view of the fact that it runs OK for a
new user (who wouldn't initially have a Classic system folder
configured, I presume).

One way to confirm whether a bad font is the likely cause is to try a
test document using only CM fonts. In this case, xetex won't ever need
to iterate over all the installed fonts, the way it does when you first
request an AAT font, and so it'll probably work OK. If it still
crashes, then the problem lies elsewhere.

You could look in ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/xetex.crash.log and let
me know what the stack backtrace shows--that gives a clue what xetex
was trying to do at the time it crashed.

HTH,

Jonathan