[XeTeX] OpenType features

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sat Oct 2 19:09:14 CEST 2004

On 2 Oct 2004, at 5:17 pm, Cyril Niklaus wrote:

> On 2 oct. 04, at 17:19, Yves Codet wrote:
>

>> Le 1 oct. 04, à 19:18, Jonathan Kew a écrit :
>>

>>> Yes, that does look strange. It might be a font error, or it might
>>> be an error in the OpenType implementation used in XeTeX. Are you
>>> able to test the same text, with the same font, in a current version
>>> of Windows to see how it renders with Uniscribe? If it behaves
>>> properly there, then it's most likely a XeTeX/ICU layout bug.
>>>

>> I'm afraid I can't do that. Here is the sample file if somebody has a
>> PC and is willing to try (and can read Devanagari or save the text as
>> a picture).
> The text displays fine on my win2000 box, the udatta is on the ja. I
> just opened it in EI and Word as well (to be sure it was using the
> Sanskrit 2003 font).

Is your Win2000 system actually doing positioning of the diacritics, or
simply leaving them at default overstrike positions? (I suspect Win2000
might not include GPOS support in Devanagari.) You could test this by
comparing the positioning of marks on 'ba' and 'ka', for example.

I believe this may be a font problem with the attachment point on the
'ja' glyph in the Sanskrit 2003 OpenType tables (but I'm not confident
of this yet; more investigation is needed). Here's an experiment I
tried, which seems to suggest the font may be at fault:

(1) In Yves' test file, I replaced the sample text with

\begin{verse}
	\dev{
	दे\\
	बे\\
	के\\
	जे\\
  	}
\end{verse}

which demonstrates that with Sanskrit 2003, the e-vowel also appears
way to the right when used on 'ja'. (The same with other diacritics
above, too.) Note that adjustments to the horizontal position of the
diacritic work fine for other letters (screenshot attached):