[XeTeX] OpenType features

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Oct 1 18:28:31 CEST 2004

On 1 Oct 2004, at 4:57 pm, Yves Codet wrote:

> Hello.
>
> If I run "OpenType-info.tex" on a font I get something like this:
>
> OpenType features found in Sanskrit 2003:
> script ='deva'
> language = <default>
> features ='abvs' 'akhn' 'blwf' 'blws' 'half' 'nukt' 'psts' 'pres'
> 'rphf' 'vatu' 'abvm' 'blwm'
>
> Is there a table somewhere which would allow to know what all this
> means, and does when selected?

Details of the OT feature tags defined/registered by Microsoft can be
found somewhere under:

	http://www.microsoft.com/typography/

(look for "Specifications"), and I'm sure Adobe has documentation
relevant to their fonts somewhere on their site.

Note that for complex scripts, XeTeX does not currently support
user-specified optional features; it always applies the features that
the script-specific "shaping engine" determines are appropriate. So for
a font such as your Sanskrit example, there's no real need for you to
know what the individual features do; you just specify "script=deva" to
get Devanagari shaping.

For Latin fonts, however, XeTeX does allow you to enable/disable
individual features, so you may want to look up the available tags in
MS or Adobe documentation to check what they're supposed to do. (Note
that what they *actually* do depends on the font developer!)

Hope this helps,

Jonathan