[XeTeX] fontspec & math(s)

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Thu Nov 18 05:54:43 CET 2004

[ I've sent this to the XeTeX list so others can see. Hope you don't
mind :) ]

On 18 Nov 2004, at 10:41 AM, Chris Menzel wrote:
> the fact that fontspec currently doesn't have TeX use the default
> romanfont for text in math mode is pretty much a showstopper for
> anyone who uses LaTeX for writing math. However, I get the sense from
> the documentation that this is something you are working on.  Any idea
> when you might have this feature available for those of us waiting
> patiently but anxiously for it? :-)

Hi Chris!

Thanks for the comments; it's nice to know people are actually using
the package :)
I've been bit busy recently, but I managed to get something working,
sort of, in this regard last time I was working on it --- but I think
it isn't failsafe.

If you put:

\makeatletter
\AtBeginDocument
   {\DeclareSymbolFont{operators}\zf at enc\rmdefault\mddefault\updefault
    \SetSymbolFont{operators}{bold}\zf at enc\rmdefault\bfdefault\updefault
    \DeclareMathAlphabet\mathbf\zf at enc\rmdefault\bfdefault\updefault
    \DeclareMathAlphabet\mathsf\zf at enc\sfdefault\mddefault\updefault
    \DeclareMathAlphabet\mathit\zf at enc\rmdefault\mddefault\itdefault
    \DeclareMathAlphabet\mathtt\zf at enc\ttdefault\mddefault\updefault
    \SetMathAlphabet\mathsf{bold}\zf at enc\sfdefault\bfdefault\updefault
    \SetMathAlphabet\mathit{bold}\zf at enc\rmdefault\bfdefault\itdefault}
\makeatother

in your preamble (AFTER you \usepackage{euler}, if you do), that's the
extent of my efforts. This requires you \setromanfont{} etc., in the
preamble, also.

However, I get the wrong symbols when using \{ \}, so I must be messing
something up somewhere, and I haven't had time to work out what's going
wrong. Any suggestions?

(Bruno's old posts on this subject were rather helpful, perhaps he can
comment further?)

Will