[XeTeX] Re: [OS X TeX] pdftex's "hz extensions"

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Tue Nov 16 14:52:22 CET 2004

On 16 Nov 2004, at 8:09 am, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 16 nov. 04, à 13:27, Jonathan Kew a écrit :
>
>> Have you tried setting \lineskiplimit to a negative value, to see if
>> this will help keep the line spacing in XeTeX constant? (I don't know
>> if there's a "LaTeX way" to control this, or if you should just set
>> the TeX parameter directly.)
>
> I just tried for example:
>
> 	\setlength{\lineskiplimit}{-12pt}
>
> It does work, but breaks other LaTeX constructs, like the spacing
> between text and equations. I now get:
>
> <Image 1.pdf>
>
> instead of:
>
> <Image 3.pdf>

Yes, that's not surprising; to try and use this, you'd want to look for
the minimal negative value that avoids disturbance to the line spacing
within your paragraphs, while still allowing \lineskip to come into
effect in more extreme circumstances. Looking at your examples, you
might find that a value of only about -2pt or so is sufficient to allow
super-/subscripts within paragraphs, while leaving the spacing around
displays intact.