[XeTeX] \beginL and colour

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon Nov 15 15:52:23 CET 2004

On 15 Nov 2004, at 9:42 am, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Jonathan Kew wrote:
>
>> Incidentally, I'm wondering if I should loosen up the font name
>> parsing to allow colon and semicolon to be interchangeable, so that
>> you could always add ":ATTRIBUTE" at the end of an existing font
>> spec, without having to worry whether this is the first attribute
>> being added to a raw font name.
>
> that makes sense, since then one can construct macro bases color
> definitions on fonts; how frozen is this info? i can imagine that the
> color assignment can be done outside the font mechanism (e.g. on the
> current font);
>
> \font\somefont=":ATTRIBUTE:..."

That's an interesting idea; in effect, it would be shorthand for some
fancy macros that retrieve \fontname, parse it to extract the
name+attributes and size, append a new attribute, and define a new
\font. Right?

(I imagine that could simplify things internally for Will's fontspec
package, too.)

I'll think about it and see if it seems feasible and robust.