[XeTeX] xetex file organization

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Nov 3 14:33:56 CET 2004

On 3 Nov 2004, at 1:26 pm, Adam Lindsay wrote:

> Jonathan Kew said this at Wed, 3 Nov 2004 13:09:08 +0000:
>
>> I've included a "xetex" level in several cases here (under fonts/misc,
>> fonts/opentype, scripts) to make it easy to distinguish items
>> installed
>> with xetex from other files that might be present. Is this a
>> reasonable
>> thing to do?
>
> Scripts makes sense, but I never got the logic behind the xetex
> directory
> in the otf tree. There's nothing intrinsically 'XeTeX'y about
> OpenType...
> even pdftex can handle those fonts (in a limited way).

There's nothing intrinsically XeTeX'y about OpenType, it's true, but it
serves to collect all the .otf files that come from the XeTeX installer
in one place (they'd still be found by any other program that searches
under texmf/fonts/opentype/), so they can easily be
identified/updated/removed when necessary.

It wouldn't have to be that way, but it seemed a useful piece of
housekeeping.