[XeTeX] xetex file organization

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Nov 3 14:09:08 CET 2004

Hi Gerben, and any others who may have an interest,

I'm trying to reorganize the various files that are part of the XeTeX
distribution in order to fit the TDS better, and I'd appreciate any
comments.

Here's what I'm thinking of so far:

texmf.local/
	fonts/
		misc/
			xetex/
				fontmapping/
					(TECkit mapping file(s) for xetex font-mapping mechanism)
		opentype/
			xetex/
				bitstrea/
				bluesky/
				hoekwater/
				public/
					(...etc, as under current fonts/otf)

	scripts/
		xetex/
			perl/
				lib/
					(...etc, containing Perl library scripts for xdv2pdf_mergemarks)

	tex/
		generic/
			hyphen/
				(Unicode-compatible versions of hyphenation files;
				these are designed to still work with standard TeX as well)
			xetex/
				unicode-letters.tex (the former xplain.tex; more descriptive name)
		xelatex/
			config/
				xelatex.ini
			graphics/
				color.sty
				graphics.sty
				xetex.def
		xetex/
			config/
				xetex.ini

	web2c/
		xetex.pool

I've included a "xetex" level in several cases here (under fonts/misc,
fonts/opentype, scripts) to make it easy to distinguish items installed
with xetex from other files that might be present. Is this a reasonable
thing to do?

Even with this (or any other) file organization, I don't think the
Web2C 2.5.3 default of

	TEXINPUTS = .;$TEXMF/tex/{$progname,generic,}//

in texmf.cnf by itself can be adequate for xelatex, as it needs to find
files within the main latex tree(s) as well as under the specific
xelatex program name. So we'll still need to add entries in texmf.cnf.
I'm thinking something like:

	TEXINPUTS.xetex = .;$TEXMF/tex/{xetex,generic,}//
	TEXINPUTS.xelatex = .;$TEXMF/tex/{xelatex,latex,generic,}//

If you have any comments, I'd be glad to hear them. I'm hoping to put
together an updated package this week, after which I'll be out of the
office for a while and may not have much chance to work on it until the
end of the month.

Thanks,

Jonathan