[XeTeX] Can't get CM to render with XeTeX

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu May 20 21:26:28 CEST 2004

Hi Matthias,

On 20 May 2004, at 7:10 pm, Matthias Damm wrote:

> Am 20.05.2004 um 04:55 schrieb Nicholas Riley:
>
>> I've just started playing with XeTeX.  I've got it installed, and all
>> the samples render (well, I didn't wait for 800 variants of Skia :)
>> except for those which use Computer Modern.
>
> I have a similar problem, but obviously with a somewhat different
> reason.
>
> The CM fonts seem to be found, but CM-test.tex generates the following
> output:
>
> --snip
> This is XeTeXk, Version 3.14159-2.1-0.7 (Web2C 7.5.2)
>  %&-line parsing enabled.
> entering extended mode
> (./CM-test.tex [1]
> *** format 3 'post' table; cannot reencode font cmti10
> *** format 3 'post' table; cannot reencode font cmbx10
> *** format 3 'post' table; cannot reencode font cmsl10
> *** format 3 'post' table; cannot reencode font cmr10
> *** format 3 'post' table; cannot reencode font cmsy7
> *** format 3 'post' table; cannot reencode font cmmi10
> *** format 3 'post' table; cannot reencode font cmmi7
> *** format 3 'post' table; cannot reencode font cmr5
> *** format 3 'post' table; cannot reencode font cmr7
> *** format 3 'post' table; cannot reencode font cmsy10  )
> Output written on CM-test.pdf (1 page).
> Transcript written on CM-test.log.
> --snap

Do you have Textures installed on your system, by any chance? Or
Postscript versions of the CM fonts in Mac suitcase/LWFN format
installed somewhere? Or even Truetype versions from somewhere? (The
Classic "System Folder:Fonts" location is a possibility, as well as the
system-wide and user OS X Fonts folders.)

It sounds to me like it is finding PS or TT versions of the fonts and
trying to use those instead of the .otf-converted ones that XeTeX
installs, but the fonts it's finding lack the proper glyph name table.
And this means that xdv2pdf can't correctly resolve the encoding that
it reads from the .enc file, and so can't find the right glyphs in the
fonts.

> The PDF generated just contains some mathematical symbols, but no text.

Yes, that's consistent with finding the fonts but failing to encode
them properly.

> I am using Gerben's teTeX and XeTeX 0.7 installed via i-Installer on
> MacOS 10.3.3. The OTFFONTS entry is present in texmf.cnf.
>
> Being everything but a TeX expert, but very impressed from what XeTeX
> does, I really would be happy if someone could give me a hint!

Looking for and removing (at least temporarily, as a test) older
versions of CM fonts, in either PS or TT format, may help. If not,
please try running:
	xetex -no-pdf CM-test.tex
	xdv2pdf -v CM-test.xdv
to get some additional trace output showing what font files xdv2pdf is

In any case, I'd like to pin down exactly what is confusing it. The aim
was to have it use the .otf fonts in preference to any others you might
happen to have on your system, but apparently something isn't working
right yet.

Thanks for the feedback; hope we can straighten this out!

Jonathan