[XeTeX] XeTeX version 0.6 graphics driver

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Sat May 8 07:53:03 CEST 2004

Hi Jonathan,

On 08/05/2004, at 5:10 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> XeTeX version 0.6 is available for download at
>
> 	http://scripts.sil.org/xetex
>
> or an i-Installer package is available at
>
> 	http://scripts.sil.org/pub/packages/xetex.ii2
>
> (use File/New from URL... in i-Installer to open from this location).
>
> Changes:
> 	- more accurate positioning of text using AAT fonts (using a
> workaround for an ATSUI text layout positioning bug)
> 	- scaling and rotation options to \XeTeXpicfile and \XeTeXpdffile
> modified for better compatibility with LaTeX graphicx package
> 	- new \specials for rotation and scaling of arbitrary material:
> 		\special{x:gsave}
> 		\special{x:grestore}
> 		\special{x:scale X Y} % X and Y are decimal scale factors
> 		\special{x:rotate D} % D is rotation in degrees

Great.
The  xetex.def  driver has been updated to match.
It's attached below, along with a repeat of the instructions
for installing it, and modifying color.sty  and  graphics.sty.

You didn't mention above that the installer was modified a bit.
It now works smoothly for me, as  kpsewhich  is found correctly.

Also attached is an example file for XeTeX, and
a similar example intended for pdfTeX, for comparison.
And there is  xetex.png  which is your  xetex.jpg  logo,
but with a transparent background.

There should be 4 attachments in total
   --- unless the mailing-list removes them.

> The sample files will be updated soon to include examples of these;
> not sure if I'll get that posted today, though.
>
> As always, feedback (even bug reports) welcome!

I've not found any bugs.
However, it would be nice to be able to clip imported images
to the `viewport' rectangle.

(I'd expect that there should be a way, in Quartz, to clip
to arbitrarily shaped polygons or regions. Implementing this
would give XeTeX a feature that isn't normally available
for LaTeX, so far as I know.)

> Jonathan

Here's the driver + examples: