[XeTeX] hyphenation

Somadevah at aol.com Somadevah at aol.com
Wed Jun 23 00:53:49 CEST 2004

Dear Jonathan,

many thanks for this sample file. If I understand correctly, TeXBook Appendix
H applies almost entirely---only unicode characters may be used. I had feared
that the character compositing rules might somehow interfere, but
fortunately, this seems not to be the case. With a bit of planning and experimentation it
should be possible to set up extremely sophisticated hyphenation rules for
Sanskrit and Hindi, much better than a mere awareness of diphthongs and conjunct
consonants; e.g. break after all proclitics, before all enclitics, separate
all compound words, etc. Even better, there are only about 600 verbal roots in
common use in Sanskrit, I now think I can include explicit rules for all of
these. Wonderful! What a huge step forward.

Somadeva Vasudeva
Wolfson College
Oxford OX2 6UD