[XeTeX] XeTeX segmentation faults

Musa Furber musaf at runbox.com
Wed Jun 16 19:17:06 CEST 2004

On 15 Jun 2004, at 14:41, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> On 15 Jun 2004, at 12:23 pm, Musa Furber wrote:
>
>> [...]
>>
>> As a side issue: The file I rendered with XeLaTeX previously had
>> something that may be of interest. While '' was rendered as a
>> smart-close-quote, ``was rendered as two marks and not as a
>> smart-begin-quote.
>
> Rendering `` and '' as "smart" double quotes is a feature of the .tfm
> files associated with CM and other standard TeX fonts; it isn't normal
> behavior for AAT or OpenType fonts. (In principle, they could include
> ligature rules to do this, but they're not used that way in practice.)
> When using Unicode fonts, there are separate characters for the
> various "real" typographic quotes; that's the appropriate thing to
> use.
>
> (For existing documents, it would be possible to write clever TeX
> macros that replace `` with \char"201C, etc., but I really wouldn't
> recommend it. If you're working with legacy TeX fonts, use the old TeX
> conventions for quotes, dashes, accents, etc.; but if you're working
> with Unicode text and fonts, use the proper Unicode characters.)

I would prefer to maintain compatibility with LaTeX as much as possible.

Converting `, ``, --, ---, and vowels with bars over them is
straightforward: just convert them to the proper Unicode glyph.

Is there anything I can do about where XeTeX places the dot when I use
\d{H} ? When I used Hoefler through pdflatex, the dot is placed exactly
where it should be. XeTeX places it far lower.

Thanks much for you help. I am a newbie...and Hoefler just looks so
nice.

Regards,
Musa