[XeTeX] How to use Lucida or Fourier fonts in XeTeX?

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon Jun 14 10:25:02 CEST 2004

On 13 Jun 2004, at 11:44 pm, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Has anybody attempted and managed to use Lucida or Fourier fonts in
> XeTeX? ...

> I also get the warning, probably related, in the console:
>
> *** no 'post' table found, unable to re-encode font lbr  )

Yes, this is why you don't get the right characters from the lbr font.
You've got a Type 1 version of the font installed somewhere in a
Library/Fonts folder, so Apple Type Services can find and render it;
but because it's an old-style Type 1, not .otf packaged, xdv2pdf can't
read the glyph names and therefore can't apply the appropriate encoding
vector (as specified in your psfonts.map file). Hence this warning. In
this situation, xdv2pdf applies a default character/glyph mapping that
happens to work OK for some of the old CM fonts I've looked at, but
it's little more than a shot in the dark really.

So, the correct solution is to create .otf versions of these fonts,
similar to the CM and other ones that are bundled with XeTeX; then
xdv2pdf can apply the .enc file and you get the right glyphs.

When I find some time, I'll try and package up and post the scripts
that I used for the fonts included with XeTeX, so people can use those
as a starting point. Note that a simple repackaging of .pfb to .otf is
not sufficient, as (at least when I've done this with FontLab) this
doesn't create a full 'post' table with glyph names. Haven't checked
FontForge lately to see what it does. My solution was to add the 'post'
table with Apple's Font Tool suite.

Note that all of this is applicable to using "legacy" TeX fonts with
.tfm files, etc.; if you work in a purely Unicode way, directly using
fonts installed in OS X rather than loading .tfm files, there are no
encoding worries like this. But that's a different world.

Jonathan (who really needs to document all about XeTeX and fonts....!)