[XeTeX] ledmac in XeTeX?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Jun 10 12:51:38 CEST 2004

Le 10 juin 04, à 12:38, Somadevah at aol.com a écrit :

>  I tried various values for \lineskiplimit and the spacing is indeed
> better. But I fear that ledmac does really need the exact values of
> character's height and depth to do its thing properly. The page still
> looks like there are random values of vertical glue scattered around,
> even if I use a single OT font. I look forward to your updated
> version...

I found that the accented characters have wrong vertical spacing (and
indeed the wrong shape as well) if you include accents and
non-alphabetical characters the standard LaTeX way instead of the
normal Unicode way, i.e.:

\"a instead of ä
\'e instead of é
`' instead of ‘’
``'' instead of “”
-- instead of –
--- instead of —
etc.

Maybe that's what affects you here. With XeTeX you really have to go
Unicode all the way, I think.

Regarding the specification of \baselineskip, it's done in the arcane
of LaTeX style files etc. and I wouldn't want to start fussing with
this unless highly motivated to do so. For example, with the article
style and 12pt option the \baselineskip for the normal size is defined
in size12.clo:

\renewcommand\normalsize{%
    \@setfontsize\normalsize\@xiipt{14.5}%
    \abovedisplayskip 12\p@ \@plus3\p@ \@minus7\p@
    \abovedisplayshortskip \z@ \@plus3\p@
    \belowdisplayshortskip 6.5\p@ \@plus3.5\p@ \@minus3\p@
    \belowdisplayskip \abovedisplayskip
    \let\@listi\@listI}

where the second line says 12pt-size characters on 14.5pt leading,
given that latex.ltx says:

  \def\@xiipt{12}

Hope this helps,

Bruno