[XeTeX] Re: [OS X TeX] Re: Hoefler...again

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Jul 29 11:33:40 CEST 2004

Le 29 juil. 04, à 11:09, Casper Lassenius a écrit :

> b) The line start and ending swashes in the italic fonts are turned on
> by
> default. These get activated when using \emph{}, which, at least for
> me, led
> to quite silly looking text. I turned them off by using
>
> \DeclareFontShape{U}{hoefler}{m}{it}%
>        {<-> "Hoefler\space Text\space Italic:Smart\space
> Swashes=!Line\space
> Final\space Swashes,!Line\space Initial\space Swashes"}{}
>
> instead of the declaration Bruno Voisin provided.

Indeed! I do not know typography well enough to understand all these
features, and I do not have time to experiment with them. My example
was focused on how to (by adding quotes "" and explicit \space
commands) it is possible to use OS X fonts, as allowed by XeTeX, in
LaTeX's Font Selection Scheme.

Did you get XeTeX's sample file archive, from XeTeX's download page? It
has extremely useful examples in it, and XeTeX-notes.tex is the closest
to a XeTeX's manual for the moment. (Beware, most of the files need to
be processed with plain TeX, not LaTeX.)

For example, processing AAT-info.tex with \fontname defined as Hoefler
Text Italic will tell you all the available features for this font, and
also that Line Initial Swashes and Line Final Swashes are on by
default. But this is probably what you did, since otherwise how would
you know the existence of these features and their precise syntax?
(BTW, where did you see the syntax =! for disabling a feature? I wasn't
aware of it.)

Also, FontSamples.tex has some examples of the different forms of
Hoefler Text Italic depending on the enabled features.

Bruno Voisin