[XeTeX] font shapes not defined resulting in accents too high?

Ross Moore ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Wed Jul 28 07:42:57 CEST 2004

Hello Cyril,

On 28/07/2004, at 12:26 PM, Cyril Niklaus wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm trying to typeset for my pleasure L'Etranger by Camus using XeTeX
> and Adobe Garmond as the font, but I ran across a problem, as the
> program tells me some font shapes are not defined. Thing is, they are
> defined in the preamble. Where is one to look for other places to
> define them? I'm tried using the font defs provided inthe example and
> once on this list, with similar error messages.
> Is it because I use the book class?
> Since the book is in french, I use the \usepackage[francais]{babel},
> but when the fonts are substituted this is what I see:
> <ToC.tiff>. Notice how far too high the accent is?

Last week I posted an archive to this list.
It contains a package that fixes this kind of thing:

   \usepackage{utf8accents}

> A bit lost here,
> Cyril
>

> The message I get is:
>
> LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OT1/AdobeGaramondPro/bx/n' undefined
> (Font)              using `OT1/cmr/m/n' instead on input line 57.

The problem is this use of OT1 encoding here.
This arises because the accent command \` by default does not know
anything about U-encoded fonts, which you are using for Garamond.

My package fixes this for all the accents, and for many other common
LaTeX macros that access non-alphabetic characters.

Best regards,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Sydney, Australia                                  fax: +61 +2 9850 8114