[XeTeX] OS X fonts.

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu Jul 22 09:54:32 CEST 2004

On 22 Jul 2004, at 7:26 am, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> You'll also need to alter your input habits a bit: for proper output,
> XeTeX expects all your input to be UTF-8. This implies, in particular,
> that TeX control sequences such as -- --- `` '' for getting – — “ ”
> need to be entered directly on the keyboard as – — “ ” etc.; the same
> applies to accents or diacritics, i.e. write "été" not "\'et\'e",
> "œuvre" not "\oe uvre", "français" not "fran\c cais" etc.

Or, as has been discussed previously, you can redefine the accent and
"special character" macros you need, such as \', \c, \oe, or whatever,
so that they generate the correct Unicode character codes rather than
the font-specific codes used in Computer Modern. In plain TeX this is
fairly easy (though tedious) in most cases; in LaTeX, I'm not sure how
best to make it interact with all the other LaTeX stuff for handling
input encodings, font encodings, font changes, etc. That's a job for a
LaTeX expert, which I'm not.

Jonathan