[XeTeX] OS X fonts.

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Jul 22 08:26:50 CEST 2004

Le 22 juil. 04, à 04:48, Alain Schremmer a écrit :

> I was recently told that to use Futura Condensed Medium, a resident
> font under Panther, I "just need to get it installed for TeX to use."
>
> So, I i-installed XeTeX, changed the preferences in TeXshop and had no
> idea how to continue.
>
> I looked up the FAQ, etc but didn't find anything relevant.

To this I can but repeat what Herb already said:

- There is a doc for XeTeX, in the form of example files downloadable
as an archive from
<http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?
site_id=nrsi&item_id=xetex_download>. In particular, in these files,
the closest to a manual is XeTeX-notes.tex.

- Be prepared to live with a few limitations, as XeTeX is still
pre-release software, in active development. In particular, there is no
extensive LaTeX support for XeTeX yet, apart from driver files for the
graphics/x and color packages written by Ross Moore.

> I am quite new at LaTeX and am quite stuck.

For your specific need above, and assuming you're planning to use
Futura Condensed Medium as the main text font (i.e., the one
corresponding to \textrm, not \textsf), you may try putting in your
document's preamble:

\DeclareFontFamily{U}{FuturaCondensed}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{FuturaCondensed}{m}{n}%
   {<-> "Futura\space Condensed\space Medium"}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{FuturaCondensed}{bx}{n}%
   {<-> "Futura\space Condensed\space ExtraBold"}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{FuturaCondensed}{b}{n}%
   {<-> ssub * FuturaCondensed/bx/n}{}
\renewcommand{\encodingdefault}{U}
\renewcommand{\rmdefault}{FuturaCondensed}

Note there are no italic and bold italic fonts to go with Futura
Condensed Medium, apparently.

You also need to switch the encoding in your text editor to UTF-8. For
example, in TeXShop that's done in the prefs at Document/Encoding.
Beware: that setting only affects new documents, it does not perform
any encoding conversion for already existing documents; for the
conversion, you may have a look at Cyclone
<http://free.abracode.com/cyclone/>.

You'll also need to alter your input habits a bit: for proper output,
XeTeX expects all your input to be UTF-8. This implies, in particular,
that TeX control sequences such as -- --- `` '' for getting – — “ ”
need to be entered directly on the keyboard as – — “ ” etc.; the same
applies to accents or diacritics, i.e. write "été" not "\'et\'e",
"œuvre" not "\oe uvre", "français" not "fran\c cais" etc.

For greater detail on these issues, you may have a look at the archives
of this list, where all these issues have been brought about at one
point or another.

> Should anyone be able to point me in the right direction, I would
> greatly appreciate.

Hope this helps,

Bruno Voisin