[XeTeX] Arabic ligatures

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Jul 7 00:31:16 CEST 2004

On 6 Jul 2004, at 11:12 pm, Musa Furber wrote:

> Today the fonts look different. Must have been fatigue induced
> operator incompetence. They do look different, and the strange
> ligature appear in Al Bayan, not the others.
>
> I tried DecoType Naskh on a 20 page Arabic text that is fully
> vowelled. One thing that struck me is that the vowel placement was
> distracting.

That would be something to bring up with DecoType, presumably. (Does
XeTeX place the vowels in the same way as if you look at the text in
TextEdit? I hope so...if not, I want to know about it!)

Would you be willing to let me have a copy (off-list) of your text, for
testing purposes? I'd be interested to see how it looks with various
fonts; most Arabic text I run across isn't fully voweled and so doesn't
test all the same things.

Jonathan