[XeTeX] Page size via %& mechanism?

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon Jul 5 21:04:57 CEST 2004

On 5 Jul 2004, at 5:55 pm, Stephen Moye wrote:

> I know that I can specify a page size in the Misc pane of TeXShop
> preferences with "xetex -papersize=612,792", but I was hoping that
> this could might done in the TeX document itself using the %&
> convention.
>
> Possible?

Currently, no (as I expect you discovered, if you tried); xetex uses
the exact same code as other *tex programs to examine the first line of
the file, and that routine looks only for a format file name and
optionally a -translate-file option (which xetex won't use anyway).

However, I can see that allowing other options to be specified that way
could be useful; I'll keep it in mind. On looking at the code, I notice
that even the %&formatname option is only going to work if it's a UTF8
file, not UTF16; I should fix that too.

Jonathan