[XeTeX] Small Caps in Latex

Jon Breitenbucher kahless at mac.com
Thu Jul 1 19:38:06 CEST 2004

On Jul 1, 2004, at 8:30 AM, Atip Asvanund wrote:

> Thank you very much. I used the following and it is working. However
> when
> I extended it to some Non-OTF built-in fonts, like Lucinda Grand or
> Lucida Bright, this scheme, or the scheme that works with Hoefler Text
> appears to not work.
>
> Is there a standard method I can follow that would declare small caps
> for
> all fonts that I may end up using in the future?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Atip
>
> BTW., I find your files very helpful, and I feel that they should
> defintely be included in to the XeTeX distribution for others. I just
> joined the mailing list a few days ago, so I must have missed your
> earlier
> posting.

It appears you have hit the problem I just mentioned in my last post.
Lucida Bright is TrueType(?) and has no AAT features as reported by
AAT-info.tex. Lucida Grande(note the e) does not seem to support small
caps, at least that is how I interpret the output of AAT-info.tex.
Unfortunately, not all fonts support all possible features. In
particular fonts that are intended to be used as display fonts may only
support a small set of glyphs. There is a nice document on Adobe's site
discussing typography. It can be accessed at
http://store.adobe.com/education/pdf/type_primer.pdf

If Jonathan would like to include the files, I would be flattered. At
this stage I think they are a work in progress.
___________________________________
Error message Haiku:
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, reboot.