[XeTeX] Small Caps in Latex

Jon Breitenbucher kahless at mac.com
Thu Jul 1 14:10:38 CEST 2004

On Jul 1, 2004, at 7:13 AM, Atip Asvanund wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, Bruno Voisin wrote:
>> That's because Letter Case = Small Caps is not available for Warnock
>> Pro. The file AAT-info.tex which is part of the XeTeX sample files
>> will
>> tell you what's exactly available for each font (please make sure you
>> run XeTeX on it in plain TeX mode, not LaTeX).
>
> I find that Small Caps are not available for several fonts. Is there a
> way
> to simulate this (e.g., by using Caps of the same font at a smaller
> size)?
> Or is there not an automatable workaround at all?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Atip

Bruno, is it not available because Warnock Pro is an OpenType font?

Atip, I posted a link to fd files for a number of Adobe OpenType fonts
including Adobe Garamond Pro and Warnock Pro. In case you missed it
they are at
http://jbreitenbuch.wooster.edu/~jonb/AdobeTypeClassicsplus.zip and
I'll probably update them soon. If you have OpenType fonts and want to
find out what features they have enter the following in the Terminal

otfinfo -f WarnockPro-Regular.otf

(This assumes that you installed Eddie Kohler's font tools using
i-Installer.)

For your immediate question of small caps in Warnock Pro the
declaration should be

\DeclareFontShape{U}{owp}{m}{sc}{
    <-> "Warnock\space Pro:+onum, +smcp"
    }{}

and if you have the optical variants use

\DeclareFontShape{U}{owp}{m}{sc}{
    <-8.9> "Warnock\space Pro\space Caption:+onum, +smcp"
    <9.0-12.9> "Warnock\space Pro:+onum, +smcp"
    <13.0-24.9> "Warnock\space Pro\space Subhead:+onum, +smcp"
    <25.0-> "Warnock\space Pro\space Display:+lnum, +smcp"
}{}

In the above I named the font owp for OpenType Warnock Pro, which is
not the Berry scheme but I'm not sure how to name it in the Berry
Scheme.
Mathematics is a game played according to certain simple rules with
meaningless marks on paper. (David Hilbert)

Jon Breitenbucher
The College of Wooster
Wooster, Ohio 44691

(330)263-2207