[XeTeX] Working with Arabic in xelatex

Frederick Hoyt fmhoyt at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Dec 30 00:38:04 CET 2004

On Dec 29, 2004, at 5:24 PM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> Just a hunch.... could it be that you have TeXShop set to use an
> encoding such as MacRoman or Latin1, rather than Unicode? If so, then
> although the Arabic example looks fine when you paste it into the
> TeXShop editor, when the file is saved it'll be written using an
> encoding that doesn't support Arabic, and the characters are all lost
> (actually, converted to '?'.... which in turn isn't supported by Geeza
> Pro, and so appears blank).
>
> One way to check: If you close and re-open the source file, is the
> Arabic text still intact?

Yes, that was exactly the problem. I rewrote the Arabic text in UTF-8,
and things work fine.

Thanks,

Fred

> JK

"Email is a wonderful thing for people whose role in life is to be on
top of things. But not for me; my role is to be on the bottom of
things. What I do takes long hours of studying and uninterruptible
concentration."

-Donald Knuth

Frederick M. Hoyt
Linguistics Department