[XeTeX] otf files

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Tue Dec 21 10:20:28 CET 2004

On 21 Dec 2004, at 9:03 am, Michael Zedler wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Installing the otf files in a Mac, other applications like textedit
> just see lots of "Computer Modern - Regular" fonts. Is it possible to
> alter this behaviour, please? Actually, I'd be happy to be able to
> just select "CMSY10".

This would mean changing the name table entries from the defaults that
FontLab created; I suppose this could be done, it would just require
some revision of the conversion script.

But if you want to use CM-style typefaces in standard Mac applications,
how about using Gerben's Latin Modern package? As I understand it,
those fonts should serve this purpose. The .otf's that ship with XeTeX
were never intended to be used this way (and I'd expect there will be
encoding "peculiarities" because of the non-standard character encoding
used in the CM fonts).