[XeTeX] hyperref pdf info

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sun Dec 12 22:04:38 CET 2004

On 11 Dec 2004, at 4:16 pm, Karim Halai wrote:

> I use hyperref to include things like subject and other comments to
> the pdf document.
> If used as \usepackage[dvipdfm]{hyperref}, I get nothing but this in
> the pdf info [PDF version 1.4]
> If used as \usepackage{hyperref}, all the contents are ignored and
> this is what I end up with:
> somefile.pdf: PDF version 1.3
> CreationDate (2004-12-10 22:04:29Z00'00')
> Creator (xdv2pdf)
> ModDate (2004-12-10 22:04:29Z00'00')
> Producer (Mac OS X 10.3.6 Quartz PDFContext)
> Title ( XeTeX output 2004.12.10:1704)
>
> If you assume I'm not missing something obvious here and XeTeX is
> writing information to the pdf file as in the second case above, would
> it be correct to assume that this part of hyperref is not supported by
> XeTeX ?

Yes, XeTeX supports only a subset of the hyperref functionality at
present (bookmarks and links, basically; and it's very possible that
not all link types will work). It doesn't support adding document
metadata.

>  Not that it matters but i'm curious of why the pdf version difference
> between the two above.

If you use the hyperref functionality (with the dvipdfm option), the
PDF that XeTeX generates via Quartz is post-processed using a Perl
library (PDF::Reuse) to add bookmarks and links; a side-effect of this
process is that the original metadata from Quartz is lost and the PDF
version updated.