[XeTeX] xelatex problem after new 2003 setup of GWTeX

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sun Dec 12 21:58:31 CET 2004

On 11 Dec 2004, at 2:21 pm, Will Robertson wrote:

> On 11 Dec 2004, at 9:45 PM, Robert Voogdgeert wrote:
>
>> Thanks for your response. The problem quite bothers me, as it is my
>> PhD dissertation that triggers the problem!!
>>
>> Jonathan, perhaps you can be of any help?

A workaround (not a real solution!) is to set \hfuzz to a large enough
value that overfull boxes don't get reported; of course, you then have
to watch out for them yourself in the output, so I don't like this
much.

> Not Jonathan, but on his behalf in case you have time to respond
> before he does: I know he's unable to pin down the problem so if you
> could post some sort of example he'd be most appreciative.

It's clearly a xetex bug; several people have encountered it; but the
same files don't necessarily fail on other people's setups.

No need to post examples at this point, actually; I've been given
several. Trouble is, they run without error for me!

I'm hoping that the next xetex release, which will include corrections
for some lines of code that looked risky when I was reviewing them the
other day, may solve this issue. It'll be a little time yet, though, as
I'm in the midst of moving to the TL2004 sources as the basis for
xetex. Once that's done, if the problem still persists, I'll have
another try at reproducing it here.

My apologies to all who have run into this bug!

> I haven't come across the problem myself, though...

Count yourself among the fortunate ones... :-)