[XeTeX] Hyphenation of compounds, and interaction with teckit

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Dec 9 00:10:11 CET 2004

Hello,

A puzzle regarding hyphenation of compound words in XeTeX: some time
ago there was a discussion about this, which led Jonathan to suggest
putting in one's XeTeX input file

	\lccode`\- = 0

Applying this to an input file of mine, and using in all cases
:mapping=tex-text (with Hoefler Text, without Will's fontspec.sty ---
yet):

- With the above, I get

	"small-amplitude" not hyphenated and protruding in the right margin

	"Mellin--Barnes" hyphenated as Mel-/lin--Barnes (/ meaning newline)

	"Mellin–Barnes" hyphenated as Mel-/lin–Barnes (with "–" the Unicode
en-dash)

- Without the above, I get

	"small-amplitude" hyphenated as small-amp-/litude

	"Mellin--Barnes" not hyphenated and protruding in the right margin

	"Mellin–Barnes" hyphenated as Mel-/lin–Barnes

Are there bugs here, or is this all to be expected? I must say I prefer
XeTeX's original behaviour, which is to hyphenate compound words,
whether containing standard dashes "-" or en-dashes "–".

Bruno Voisin