[XeTeX] XeLateX minimizes the output?

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Dec 3 15:19:41 CET 2004

On 3 Dec 2004, at 2:08 pm, Jan Eden wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just noticed that documents produced with XeLaTeX have a different
> page layout, and the text appears slightly smaller when compared to
> the same document typeset with pdfLaTeX.

Using what fonts? If using the same fonts in both, I'd expect to get
identical layout; but if you use OS X fonts directly in XeLaTeX,
compared with the same typeface but using traditional tfm files, etc.,
in pdfLaTeX, there will almost certainly be differences.

> There also is an additional margin at the top of the page which is
> only visible when printing the page (not on the screen).

This sounds like perhaps the Page Setup used when printing the PDF
doesn't match the media size for which it was created?

If these suggestions aren't enough to clarify things, maybe you could
provide a minimal sample document that illustrates the points.