[XeTeX] fontspec 1.5

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Thu Dec 2 01:53:27 CET 2004

Herb Schulz wrote:
> Thanks tons for this package. Between it and Ross Moore's utf8accents
> package I can take many old files and run them right through XeLaTeX with no
> problems.
>
> Old habits are hard to undo for this old dog. I must admit I run many files
> through with
>
> \usepackage{fontspec}
> \defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}
> \setromanfont[Numbers=Lining]{Hoefler Text}
> \usepackage{utf8accents}
>
> With lovely results. More experimentation to come.

For better or worse (I suspect the latter), I automatically load the
utf8accents package, as it isn't really something a user should worry about.

There was some discussion regarding what to do with the package in the
future (i.e., turning it into a font encoding as it should be), but I
don't know what the outcome of that was.

But I agree, I do find it easier to type ``---'' than their unicode
equivalents. That just sparked an idea: wouldn't it be nice if -> turned
into \rightarrow, and >= turned into \geq, and so on? This would make
TeX maths even easier to read. (Especially if you used nath instead of
amsmath and all delimiters acted as if arguments of \left and \right.)

Regards,
Will