[XeTeX] fontspec 1.5

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Dec 1 16:05:00 CET 2004

On 11/30/04 11:54 PM, "Will Robertson" <will at guerilla.net.au> wrote:

> Okay.
> Sorry to announce this so soon after the previous version.
> I've been procrastinating.
>
> The fontspec package now contains almost every feature I would like it
> to. I'm going to do my best to ignore it from now on and get some
> proper work done. (Unless there are problems with this release.)
>
> New feature: It is now possible to add features to the currently
> selected font with the \addfontfeatures{} command. This allows you to
> add a hook to tabular material, for example, and have it automatically
> turn on monospaced lining figures in the table without have to know
> which font is selected. (Only if the font actually HAS those numbers,
> of course.) E.g.:
>   \defaultfontfeatures{Numbers=OldStyle}
>   \fontspec{Hoefler Text} These figures are old-style: 1234567890
>   \fontspec{Skia Regular} These figures are old-style: 1234567890
>   \addfontfeatures{Numbers=Lining}
>   \fontspec{Hoefler Text} These figures are lining: 1234567890
>   \fontspec{Skia Regular} These figures are lining: 1234567890
>
> New feature: It is also possible to define your own bold and italic
> shapes in a font family. For example, you may select the Baskerville
> family with semibold with
>   \fontspec[Bold={Baskerville SemiBold}]{Baskerville}
>   \bfseries Some semi-bold Baskerville text.
>
> This will also allow you to select bold shaped from other families
> altogether if they match well enough. (There was talk along this line
> with Korean fonts, I think.)
>
> So that's that. I promise, no more significant updates soon!
> Problems, praise, suggestions, criticisms: please let me know.
>
> Regards,
> Will
>
> PS I've just realised this version still won't allow you to choose bold
> fonts for Skia. Damn.

Howdy,

Thanks tons for this package. Between it and Ross Moore's utf8accents
package I can take many old files and run them right through XeLaTeX with no
problems.

Old habits are hard to undo for this old dog. I must admit I run many files
through with

\usepackage{fontspec}
\defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}
\setromanfont[Numbers=Lining]{Hoefler Text}
\usepackage{utf8accents}

With lovely results. More experimentation to come.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest.com)