[XeTeX] misplaced combining diacritical marks

Yves Codet ycodet at club-internet.fr
Thu Aug 26 13:26:46 CEST 2004

Hello Jonathan,

> To see properly-stacked diacritics working in XeTeX, you could try the
> Doulos SIL font (available from http://scripts.sil.org/doulossilfont),
> which includes OpenType tables that support arbitrary diacritic
> stacking. (As yet, there are very few fonts that include such
> support.)

I tried Doulos SIL with a modified version of your OpenTypeSamples.tex
and it worked well. Diacritics are actually correctly placed in the
output. But I can't use it with LaTeX. I wrote this at the beginning of
a file:

\DeclareFontFamily{U}{DoulosSIL}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{DoulosSIL}{m}{n}%
      {<-> "Doulos\space SIL"}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{DoulosSIL}{m}{it}%
      {<-> ssub * DoulosSIL/m/n}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{DoulosSIL}{bx}{n}%
      {<-> ssub * DoulosSIL/m/n}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{DoulosSIL}{b}{n}%
      {<-> ssub * DoulosSIL/m/n}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{DoulosSIL}{b}{it}%
      {<-> ssub * DoulosSIL/m/n}{}
\renewcommand{\encodingdefault}{U}
\renewcommand{\rmdefault}{DoulosSIL}

(rather awkward I guess but there is only one shape), and I got the
following error message:

*************************************
* Local config file frenchb.cfg used
*
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/generic/babel/frenchb.cfg)))
(./phil_1.aux)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/latex/lm/t1lmr.fd)
[1] (./syst_phon_lat.texkpathsea: Running mktextfm Doulos
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/mktexnam: Could not map source
abbreviation D for Doulos.
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/mktexnam: Need to update
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fontname/special.map?
mktextfm: Running mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1;
nonstopmode; input Doulos
This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.2)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/web2c/cp8bit.tcx)

kpathsea: Running mktexmf Doulos
! I can't find file `Doulos'.
<*> ...:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input Doulos

Please type another input file name
! Emergency stop.
<*> ...:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input Doulos

Transcript written on mfput.log.
mktextfm: `mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode;
input Doulos' failed.
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.

! Font \U/DoulosSIL/m/n/24.88=Doulos not loadable: Metric (TFM) file or
ATSUI f
ont not found.
<to be read again>

Somebody had a similar difficulty but I couldn't find an answer in the
archive. I suppose this is not the right way to call an OpenType font
with LaTeX. May I ask for your help once more?

Kind regards,

Yves